8:30 – 9:15 AM
REGISTRATION, BREAKFAST & NETWORKING
9:15 – 9:25 AM
Nate Herman, Senior Vice President, Supply Chain, American Apparel & Footwear Association (AAFA)
9:25 – 10:05 AM
KEYNOTE: A PRACTITIONER'S
GUIDE FOR COMPLIANCE MANAGEMENT
Doug Casey, Sr. Manager, EH&S, and Product &
Social Compliance, Callaway Golf Company
Susan DeRagon, Senior Technical Consultant, QIMA
10:05 – 10:30 AM
10:30 – 11:15 AM
MOVING OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE
Big Tony Alvarez, Global VP, Supply Chain, Responsible Manufacturing Division, Volcom,
Rick Horwitch, Vice President, Global Retail Lead, Supply Chain Strategy, Bureau
Veritas Consumer Products Services
Moderator: Nate Herman, Senior Vice President, Policy, AAFA
- Get help identifying the compliance questions you need to be asking factories and vendors when moving into new factories or regions.
- Avoid interruptions in production and regulatory or compliance by strengthening your partnerships with compliance partners and factories.
- Stack your deck with this conversation about internal and partner relationships.
11:15 AM – 12:00 PM
GREENING YOUR LABELS
Seemanta Mitra, Technical Leader – Global Softlines, UL
Colleen Vien, Sustainability Director, The Timberland Company
Moderator: Kristen Kern, Manager, Supply Chain & Sustainability
- Products with better environmental impacts are increasing their presence in the market, but regulations on those products are developing reactively.
- In the absence of apparel and footwear-specific green labeling regulations and guidance, companies are left to make assumptions when designing their labels based on incomplete legislation.
- The FTC’s Green Guides are not a new tool but understanding what it covers can help companies fill in the gaps around green labeling regulations.
- This session will give attendees a tutorial on protecting brands with correct labeling and FTC compliance.
12:00 – 1:00 PM
LUNCH AND NETWORKING
1:00 – 1:05 PM
WELCOME REMARKS & INTRODUCTION
Noel Hacegaba, Deputy Executive Director, Port of Long Beach
1:05 – 1:45 PM
REGULATIONS UNDER TRUMP
Kristen Kern, Manager, Supply Chain & Sustainability
Senior Vice President, Policy, AAFA
- The Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) was updated three years ago and has been undergoing rounds of chemical risk assessments for use in consumer products.
- The TSCA implementation process as well as other regulations have largely happened under a deregulation administration, receive a status update on regulations and how they will affect your supply chain.
1:45 – 2:30 PM
CHROME VI AND 60-DAY NOTICES: A LITIGATION UPDATE
Jeff Margulies, Partner, Norton Rose
Fulbright US LLP
- Chrome VI is causing a stir in the regulatory world, especially in California.
- Multiple groups are pursuing cases against apparel and footwear companies who sell leather products, and a joint defense has developed for a unified response.
- After this session, you should have a better understanding of these specific Prop 65 cases, how it could impact you, and what steps to take to safeguard your products.
2:30 – 2:55 PM
2:55 – 3:35 PM
CASE STUDY: YOU’VE BEEN SERVED
Bao M. Vu, Of Counsel, Stoel Rives LLP
- If you receive a 60-day notice, how does the notice work, what is its purpose, and how do you respond?
- This case study on Prop 65 will walk through the process of dealing with a Prop 65 notice and how the regulation can realistically be managed.
- Supplement your compliance protocol with best practices to understand, deal with, and avoid Prop 65 60-day notices.
3:35 – 4:20 PM
Andrew G. Schwartz, Corporate Counsel, LION
Ben DeVito, Director, North America Softlines and Leather, Global
Sales, Eurofins Product Testing
Kristen Kern, Manager, Supply Chain & Sustainability Initiatives
- Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) are used in water-repellent fabrics and stain- resistant finishes in this industry – and are being regulated around the world for water contamination concerns.
- Research is constantly adding to our knowledge of the PFAS class of chemicals, but there are still many misconceptions about the chemicals. T
- This session will cover international regulations on PFOA and PFOS, the regulatory definitions of PFAS, and some of the alternative chemistries that companies have substituted.
4:20 – 4:30 PM
Nate Herman, Senior Vice President, Supply Chain, AAFA